Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

RE: Question around Immunotherapy from Teal Thursday

Options
On this past Teal Thursday, this was posted by @ GloHo
"I am very frustrated because I keep asking if there is anything they can do or I can take to help my body out during treatment. I am not chronic, but I sure am consistent (definitely drug-induced adverse reaction). For some reason, they will do something re neutrophils if you are receiving chemotherapy, but they do not recommend anything for immunotherapy. I still don't understand this (it was a telephone call with the oncologist today so I didn't want to hold her up from the patients I know are waiting for her at the clinic) and I am going to have to find out why nothing can or will be done when you're receiving immunotherapy. 
When I spoke to my Oncologist this morning about getting an injection or something to fortify my neutrophils, she said that they do it for patients receiving chemo but not immno. Very frustrating and confusing. "

Here is what I know from my medical background.  I believe they do not "top up with neutrophils" as immunotherapy is already asking the immune system to act and do their job. I feel if they added the neutrophils to it at the same time it would be like a "system overload" and may not produce the desired results and may even have a negative effect or decrease the efficacy of your current immunotherapy treatment.  I could be in error in saying this and will be curious to see what you find out from your Oncologist when you meet or speak with them next.

Comments

• My oncologist tells me I cannot have immunotherapy. I am high serous, 76 yrs old, and live in BC. Why are some women getting it then?
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @Hooodith My best guess is that it depends on individuals and the info around what your diagnosis is and any relevant testing that has been done.
    Have you posed that very question to your team and inquired as to the "why" behind it?  If you have not, it may be worthwhile asking if for nothing else but to put your mind at ease.
    Hope this helps