Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Autoimmune Thrombocytopenia (ITP)

Before being diagnosed with OV cancer stage 3, I had really low platelet counts. The 6 chemotherapy treatments have impacted the platelet counts and I was on a high dose of Prefnisone for 3 months then switched to Revolade (Eltromopeg) 50 mg but was increased to 75 mg to complete the 6th chemotherapy treatment. 

My oncologist is not placing me on a maintenance drug because of the fluctuations in platelet counts and this is a concern to me. I still have my spleen and did reach out to my hematologist to advise if any advancements and/or testing has changed in 25 years for a splenectomy.

Any additional information, shared experiences or leads are greatly appreciated.

with gratitude,
Andrea

Comments

• Hi Andrea 
    Welcome to our community.  I''m always happy to meet new members but, at the same  time, sad for the cause that connects us all.
    I have experienced low platelet counts over the 6+ years I've been in treatment but not to the extent you have.  Hopefully there are members out there who share your experience and will be helpful to you. But in the meantime, if you  haven't already, input some of the key words about the condition into the search bar and if there have been any historical conversations on the topic they should pop up.

Good luck in your search and treatment.
  • @AndreaDuengen Hello, it has been quite a long time since you last posted.  I thought I would check in to see how you are doing and where things are at for you currently.  I am hoping you would like to share any and all updates, if not, you can send me a private message if that is preferable.  How has your blood work been as of late?  How are you feeling mentally/emotionally and physically?   What are you up to on this day?  Here in Ontario it is cold, snowy and blowy.  Hubby wants to go out for a bit and I told him to go without me.  I have no interest in going out there and will be content with a nap today.  Snug as a bug in a rug is what I think of when I look at how I feel today.  Sipping tea and working on my computer.  Later, will continue reading "Lessons in Chemistry", a very light read and am probably half way through.  Looking forward to your update, when you are ready...... <3
  • Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator
    @AndreaDuengen  Thought it was time to check in again to see how you are doing.  Are you still in active treatment?  How are you doing in general?  Would love to hear an update from you and it may be helpful to some fellow Teal Sisters out there too.  Hoping to hear from you soon.
    Take care