Need Advice on what it is like to live without an omentum

I'm 68, newly diagnosed with ovarian cancer as the primary and peritoneal carcinomatosis as the secondary. I will have 4 chemo treatments, then a complete hysterectomy including removal of  cervix and omentum, then 2 more chemo treatments and maintenance chemo pills. This may give me 3 to 4 years.  I have no knowledge of what living without an omentum entails.  I need information from people who have had theirs removed and how it affects their life.

Comments

• StrongwomanStrongwoman Peer Support Vol
    @blackdot
      I would say you won't notice anything. I have had mine removed. I have heard it described as 'partial' but thought it was 'full". Main point is I can't say I notice anything. I noticed more from the radical hysterectomy and debulking etc than I did anything.  Basically everything finding its new place once removed. I have low grade serous grade 3C primary peritoneal cancer which is treated the same as ovarian. Having the omentum removed hasn't affected my life. Surgical menopause and my recurrence, does affect my life.
      Are they able to do your surgery laproscopically or have to make an incision?
      What is most concerning to you given the information you have received?

• Ovarian is primary, peritoneal carcinomatosis secondary. I'm 68. Full hysterectomy including cervix and omentum.large incision. This may buy me 3 or 4 years. Onviously the first year is hell.
    @blackdot
      My incision was from sternum to pubic bone and knew it was a possibility I would be opened that much going in but no one knew for sure until they operated.  I will not lie, it was difficult to overcome. It took a lot to just walk every day slowly and with help. I had help showering on a shower chair as well.  If this type of surgery is in your future, plan ahead would be my advice. Have a raised toilet seat and wipes. Make sure you have someone that can stay with you for a bit and can help you with many things we consider "simple".  Meals prepped in advance etc.  
      As far as a timeline, many of us have been given one. Some have surpassed them, some on their journey to a date given and of course others have passed.  As hard as it is, live in the moment and day to day.
      Talk to your team about what they are presenting to you for treatment. Risks and benefits. Ask questions.  In the end, this is your journey and your body. It will respond in its own way as well.  
     I would say my biggest challenge was gaining my strength back and being able to do things on my own like shower. Every small accomplishment meant I was starting to heal. 
      Chemotherapy itself can be tough but your team will work with you to minimize any side effects. I am not sure if you have had chemo before from your post. 
      I wish you the best in your treatment decisions.  They can be difficult to make. It is all difficult from hearing your diagnosis, to treatment options and then side effects and recovery or recurrence. A lot physically, emotionally and mentally. 
      I wish you the best and keep us posted.
  • Thanks. Also dealing with my only adult child in palliative care. Just don't think I have much fight left. This feels like the final punch. Good luck with your journey.
    @blackdot
      You are going through a lot. Do you have supports in place?  You can reach out to your team and/or hospice to find supports as well.  It sounds like you are torn with what to do, outlook etc.  Plus what you are currently processing with your adult child. 
    So tough and hard. Sending you hugs and holds.
  • Just got the treatment plan Friday. Used the weekend to research to help with my decision. No, I have never had chemo but just watched my BIL go through 4 years of it. I don't think I'm interested. Will look at all supports, either way,  this week. Thanks for your help.
    @blackdot
      Hello.  You seem very definite in your decision in your last post.  I bet it was difficult to watch from the outside having someone go through treatment.  Only thing I would caution is that chemo is not the same for everyone nor the type they use nor the side effects of.  That's all I will say on that.
      I wish you the best outcomes whichever avenue you decide to take.  These are all hard decisions when we are faced with them.  
      You are always welcome to join our Teal Thursdays @ 1pm for a live online chat if you wish.  You need to refresh your page to see incoming comments on it and/or a black box will appear to show you new messages so you know to refresh.  If you can and want to join us, we will meet you there.
     In the meantime, reach out when you feel the need.
    Take care
    @blackdot
      Checking in to see how you are doing and how the week went.  You had a lot information to process. 
  • Yes. I got more questions answered. Having a feeling really good day today. Leaning more towards treatment. Emotions are random and all over the map, but especially ticked off. Thanks for checking in.
    @blackdot
      It is hard and the choices we have are difficult at times. Throw a little bit of emotions in there and add a dash of physical symptoms and voila...here we are!
      I am thankful that you are considering treatment. Always good to weigh pros and cons with quality of life.
     It can be an emotional roller coaster ride for sure.  All those feelings are normal. Anger or ticked off is one of them. Questioning everyone and everything can occur as well. Our worlds are rocked by the information we receive and our brains kick into fight or flight for a bit. Find an outlet if you can for these times.  Some use Journaling or crafting or something active to distract themselves or get out what one is feeling.  Whatever works for you is best.
      Hope this helps and that you embrace some discussions that others have had and to know we are all with you on your journey.