Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

First chemo treatment went smoothly!!

Hi all, 

In the service of good news, no matter how big or small, and also for anyone who comes along wanting to read a first hand account of chemo treatment, I just wanted to say that I had my first carboplatin/taxol IV chemotherapy treatment today, and it went really well. 

I was worried that I might have an allergic reaction, but that didn't happen, and I didn't feel a thing as the medication made it's way up my vein into my body. 
The worst part was having three attempts at IV placement before the expert nurse finally found a big enough vein.
The rest of the time was super easy and relaxing.
Truth be told, I enjoyed the time of just sitting there by myself with a good book and some nice snacks, taking photos of my IV arm  :)

The whole shebang took 5 hours, start to finish, and probably thanks to the steroids, I was so energetic when I got home I went for a long walk.
We'll see what the next 5 or 6 days brings, but for now, feeling pretty good!

A big fat thumbs up to modern medicine and treatment options, such as they are.
I feel extremely grateful to be living at a time that we have even what we have, and that I'm resourced and privileged enough to be able to access the treatments.

Not so happy to be a part of this club, but feeling grateful to those of you who put so much time and energy into moderating and organizing, and making it possible for us all to support each other in this way.
Thank you!

Comments

• @Petra
      I am happy to hear the chemo treatment went better than you thought it would.  The "energy" you felt afterwards may be from the steroids as I remember feeling ravenous when I was done my first chemo and it waned after that.  Remember to be careful what you are doing immediately after treatment due to the steroid component.  
    How are you feeling now that you have had a day or two after having treatment?
    Document anything you are feeling and speak to your team about it as there may be medications that can help you through those days should you need it.
    Take care and try to enjoy that sunshine out there today!
  • @Strongwoman

Thanks, great advice.
    Today is day 3, still feeling well overall. Minimal neg side effects so far other than constipation, which is kind of a first for my body, and super annoying. Drinking a TON of water, made myself a prune/fig/raisin spread to eat on crackers, and going for a walk every day - hope that all helps. 
    I haven't had surgery yet, am doing neoadjuvant chemo to hopefully shrink the peritoneal nodules and make the surgery easier and more successful - so am in a diff category than most here I would think - but an interesting physical symptom I've been having is sharp pains in the abdominal areas that I know have tumour nodules. Very interesting, and I take it as a good sign :)
    No peripheral neuropathy yet, one of my biggest fears, so that's making me very happy.

• @Petra, thank you for chronicling a positive experience.  For those just entering the treatment realm seeing  a story such as yours goes a long way to reducing any anxiety being felt.  I do hope the rest of your treatments go as easily.

As for the energy, it's likely the dexamethasone. It has some interesting side effects.....high energy, ravenous appetite and cravings, impatience.  Those, if you get them last about two days. My husband used to say he looked forward to those two days because the house was sparkling clean, all the laundry done and ironed, and were eating some very creative meals...but he ran for the hills on day 2 when I became a raving lunatic LOL.   Day 3 or 4 was when any side effects would kick in like nausea, fatigue etc.  And then by Day 4 or 5 I'd be back to my old self  until the next treatment.  I had a really easy time with chemo like you, but I did allow the peripheral neuropathy to creep in by virtue of no one mentioning it a possibility. Glad to hear you're keeping an eye on that front. If not already raised, the nurses in the chemo room are usually very helpful with suggestions to prevent neuropathy. 

Good luck with the rest of your journey. We'll all be rooting for you.  <3  
  • @Fearless_Moderator
    It's nice to hear that you had an easy time with the chemo. It's interesting how it seems to effect each person a little differently. I'm on day 5 now, and so far have had zero nausea, but yesterday and today have had some muscle and joint aches as well as fatigue. So far it's been more manageable than I was expecting, and I hope it stays that way!
    Fingers crossed.
    Thank you for the good luck. 
    I have a long road ahead of me but it helps to know that there are others out there who I can reach out to.