Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Chemo question

I’ll be starting my 2nd chemo this week and I’d like to know if I can assume I’ll be going thru the same symptoms as I experienced during my 1st one? Taxol + Carbo

Comments

• Annie1950
    Annie1950 Peer Support Vol
    @LUCY_BC I kept a journal of how I felt every time I had chemo and the for the following week.  It didn't vary too much.  I went through eight rounds and knew that day one and two I'd feel fine but days three, four, five and six were a challenge and from there on it was easy sailing until the next chemo.  
    The final two chemos were the only one's that deviated.  I felt them to be easier on my body or my body had become use to it.  Good luck!
  • @LUCY_BC - though the side effects are the same, we will all react differently. I found that the fatigue increased with each chemo treatment. Like @Annie1950 I found day one and two to be fine (mine was on Thursdays) by Saturday I was tired, some nausea and leg pains started on Saturday night. I learned after the first one to be proactive - I started Tylenol on Saturday afternoon. Ate smaller meals and never let myself get hungry. Take the meds prescribed by your oncology team. Drink lots of water before treatment and in the next few days to help flush your system. And REST! By Monday the pains were subsiding, the nausea was gone but the fatigue lingered. Listen to your body. This is the time to take care of yourself.
  • I have had 4 rounds of carbo/taxol, my 4th one just yesterday. I have my treatments on Friday.  I have found that my symptoms pretty well followed the same pattern.  On Saturday I feel fine and have lots of energy as a result of the steroid given with treatment. Sunday and Monday the nausea sets in so I sleep a lot because of the anti-nausea meds.

Tuesday I am able to get back to work, thankfully working from home, but I do have some neuropathy in my fingers and the last two treatments, it has felt like my limbs are disconnected from my body. By Wednesday I am pretty much back to normal and fine until my next treatment.

It does take 1 week for my tastebuds to go back to normal and my appetite to return. I make sure to drink lots of fluids and if nothing else is appealing,  I rely on protein bars for energy and strength.

I wish you the best of luck on you journey and prayers for successful outcome.
  • This is helpful I start Chemo next week and have no idea what to expect.
    Not sure what to take with me . They said to pack a lunch I will be there for 6 and a half hours.
    I am not sure what kind of food would be best to take.
    I am so glad that I have joined this group.  
    Always glad to hear suggestions. 
  • @352Ruth My treatments are 5 to 6 hours as well. I bring with me grapes, strawberries and cheese and crackers. Things that are easy to nibble on as you feel like eating and when you are not sleeping.  I sleep for about 1/2 of my treatment as I am given benadryl to head off allergic reaction,l which knocks me out.
  • @352Ruth I left you an extensive comment under your question in the INTRO discussion thread.  
  • do you feel worse after each treatment

• @352Ruth
    Not necessarily.  We all react and respond to chemo differently.  Sometimes it takes a cycle or two for them to adjust your treatment to mitigate the effects.  Sometimes your body just needs a bit of time to adjust itself to the invasion. For me, I've found after the first cycle my response seems to level out...same symptoms, same time or same amount of time each treatment.  Some chemo drugs do take awhile before side effects emerge though.  The key is keeping your oncologist and the chemo nurses informed, not just when your getting treatment but what's going on in between. I used to keep a daily journal where I'd record what I was doing, what I was eating, how much fluid I was getting, what meds I was needing to take and what, if any side effects I was feeling.  It's useful to be able to look back on it with your oncologist when you go in for check ups, but it's also useful for you to measure any significant changes that might need to be reported before your next check up. If side effects are worsening then your cancer care team can work on whatever is needed, whether medication or changes in doses etc., to try to mitigate those effects for you.