Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL TEAS (Zoom platform)- December hiatus ...expected to resume in January 2022

Fearless_Moderator
Fearless_Moderator Moderator
edited January 2022 in Encouragement and Support
Hi Everyone, 

OCC is thrilled to provide this important space for women across the country to connect with one another using the Zoom platform. 

These gatherings are not professionally facilitated support groups nor are they recorded, rather, they are meant to be a place for connection and conversation, organically, to reach more Teal Sisters from coast to coast.   

They have created three options to attend, normally on the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday the last week of each month; the first usually targeted to Young Survivors, the second a general session, and the third for Survivors of 10 years or more.

The Tea’s require registration and have limited space on a first come first serve. Once the rooms are full there will be no further access for that Teal Tea.

For questions, or to reach us for any reason on this Teal Tea resource please email tealtea@ovariancanada.org

For the most current schedule and to register please click the link below:

https://ovariancanada.org/Events/Find-Local-Events

Comments

• jiselle16
    jiselle16 Peer Support Vol
    Thanks for posting this @Fearless - Vol Mod! I attended my first Teal Tea on Tuesday and it was wonderful to see some other Teal Sisters and chat about what resources we found helpful. Highly recommend attending!
  • @jiselle16
    Thanks for the feedback. I know OCC will value hearing from participants. I've made a note to ask the gals on todays' live chat if anyone participated.  I was hoping to zoom into one of them myself this week but this is a chemo week for me so hopefully next time.  
    The schedule past today's final session this afternoon isn't up yet but will update the link for all when they post it. 

• The June Teal Tea schedule is now posted.  Sessions are limited with registration on a first come first served basis. To register for one of the 3 June sessions (June 22, 23 or 24): https://ovariancanada.org/Events/Find-Local-Events
  • jiselle16
    Highly recommend attending OCC's "Teal Tea" as a way to connect with other teal sisters and share advice/resources!

The July schedule for Teal Teas has now been posted: https://ovariancanada.org/events-support/find-local-events#tealtea

Sessions are on July 27, 28 and 29. Click the above link to register! The session on July 28 at 6pm ET/3pm PT/7pm AT is specifically for young survivors. Register and join me :)
  • FYI, I believe the Teal Teas will be suspended for August but will pick up again in September.  We will post an advisory when the new schedule is available or check  https://ovariancanada.org/events-support/find-local-events#tealtea for the updates. 
  • Just checking in, I don't see it on the Event tab.  Still suspended for September?  I'd love to meet more people that will understand :)
  • @missvixx Yes, the Teal Tea for young survivors would be an ideal forum for you. Try this link for the September session. It provides a general overview, date and time, and a link to register.   Let me know if you have any problem accessing it.

https://ovariancanada.org/Events/Find-Local-Events/2021/September/Teal-Tea-September-29-2021

You might also want to join our weekly live online chat.  Each week we have anywhere from 1 to up to 20+ online where we talk about everything and anything.  You're welcome to view to get a feel for it without participating yet or just jump in and join us. It's every Thursday at 1PM EDT, in fact one today. You need only sign in to OVdialogue and click on the discussion topic Teal Thursdays..... to enter the chat.  Love to have you join us.  
  • I'll definitely give it a whirl, but won't be free today!  I've marked my calendar for next Thursday :)
  • jiselle16
    @missvixx Hope to see you at today's Teal Tea for young survivors, if you are able to join! I'll be there! It's at 6pm EST (5pm in Manitoba). If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message.
  • @jiselle16
    I'm coming!  :)  I am sooooo excited to see some more of my sisters! <3
  • jiselle16
    Such a GREAT teal tea last night! @missvixx It was so lovely to chat with you, so glad we could connect! The next teal tea for "young survivors" on October 27 is already open for registration: https://ovariancanada.org/Events/Find-Local-Events/2021/October/Teal-Tea-October-27-2021.

OCC is thinking of inviting a speaker to one of the next teal teas, so if you have any questions you would like answered, feel free to post here or send me a PM so we can build out a question list!

Looking forward to the next teal tea :smile:
  • @jiselle16 it was SO great to meet you too!  I had an awesome time, and will definitely attend the next one!  I hope S is there too, she's so lovely!  I do have some questions, so I'll be sure to think up a few and get em up here :)
  • @jiselle16 @missvixx Loved our chat. 
    I will be there for the next! S. 
  • @purplestar @jiselle16
    I had to miss the 10+ tea, but I'll be at the next one. I didn't realize it was the same time as my oncologist.
    So, I have news!  They're doing the surgery!  November 18, 11:00 AM that's where I'll be.  Scared but hopeful.
    No chemo until then, and none for about five weeks after.
    My original mass was 34 cm, this one is 9x11x14cm so it's shrunk a lot. 
    They did note my lymph nodes also shrunk but only mm, so they're cautiously optimistic it hasn't spread there.
    I hope you both are doing well! <3
  • @missvixx
    I will be thinking of you! Surgery is scary but a good next step here. The break in chemo will help you gain some strength before the surgery and time to recover after. I went through the same. You've been focused and strong! Stay hopeful. Sending lots of love  <3 
  • Thank you so much, @purplestar. That means so much to me, as does your energy in my life. ❤️
  • jiselle16
    @missvixx glad you have some next steps, the results sound encouraging! I also missed the 10+ tea, but already looking forward to the next one!! Will be sending you lots of good vibes on the 18th. Surgery is scary, but I have no doubt that with your determination and positive attitude, that you got this! <3 xo
  • jiselle16
    @missvixx and @purplestar Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed our chat at this week's Teal Tea. I always come out of the sessions feeling amazing since everyone is inspiring in their own unique way. It just feeds my soul so much...I'm so thankful we've got to meet each other (well except for the cancer part!). Such a great group of women that I am so proud to know. xo
  • @jiselle16 your comment brought joy to my day! You were right on point for starting this group. None of us would have chosen the circumstances, but being at different points in our journey brings so much value and support to the group. I'm in my post-treatment haze trying to pick up the pieces. Talking to you guys gives me motivation to move forward. Only those affected by OC will truly understand how much it changes your life, esp at a young age. I'm grateful that you're both in my life and I'm hopeful for brighter days ahead!! 
  • As the Teal Tea schedule has historically been on the last week of each month, with holidays approaching there will be no Teal Teas in December.  A new schedule beginning in the new year is expected early January and will be posted when available.
    In the meantime, participants are encouraged to use the OVdialogue chat room and weekly live online chats on Thursdays, which will continue to through December, to stay connected.  
    Happy Holidays everyone, 
     <3 
  • @jiselle16 @purplestar
    You both are so wonderful.  I'm so grateful to you both for being in my life. I find our sessions to be the most useful part of my Cancer experience and I too always come out more relaxed and carefree. Once I've fully kicked this, I'll have to come to Ontario this summer and maybe a meet up! (Depending on what the other big C, Covid - has in mind) 
    Lots of love to you both.  I finished my Christmas card and will definitely email you guys each one so you can laugh at what I did with it. <3
  • @missvixx I was thinking the same … hoping we can meet in person 💜