Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis ([email protected]).

Home/Introductions

Hi to you all. I've been browsing through Posts and  know I have found the place I belong.
I am a dual citizen of the US and Canada. My husband and I reside in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
In October 2020 I was diagnosed with metastatic ovarian cancer. I had surgery mid-November and started weekly chemotherapy December 1st.
I have 3 more treatments and will start Zejula sometime after that. 
My support group of family and friends are amazing and includes individual's who are cancer survivors.
My need to find a Group like this is to meet new friends in a place only I can go...for wisdom, comfort,
and support during this most unexpected experience of my life. 
Thank you for listening,
Heather (Heather33)

Comments

• @heather33
    I am so glad you did find us. Truly, you seem to have great support from your own family and network but truly, being one who's walking in your shoes, being able to connect with a community of women who "get it" is incredibly helpful and uplifting. We are almost 500 now, all with lots of experiences to share, a kind word when you need it, and just a listening "ear" on those days when you just need somewhere to vent. And, we are also great happy dancers for those times when you experience a breakthrough or some wonderful news.  No one but us knows the joy of ringing that bell at the end of chemo, or hearing a CA score in the normal range, or seeing the words "unremarkable" on a scan report.

If you haven't already, do go to the OCC site https://ovariancanada.org.  You'll find an amazing amount of information on our disease, from videos to personal stories and resources. I do strongly believe that those who manage best through this journey are those most equipped with knowledge.  And order, from that site, the booklet By Your Side. It's an excellent guide through initial diagnosis and treatment.

You may also want to sign up for our Speaker series...the next one this Wednesday at 7pm EST....4pm your time.  I've posted an announcement on this site where you can get a bit of info on the offering and the link to register.

And finally, we hold a real time, live chat every Thursday. Usually a handful to about 15 of us just get together to gab, share information, get questions answered, and celebrate when the occasions arise.  Love to have you join us.  It runs from 1pm EST to 2pm EST and you can access the chat by signing in to OVdialogue and then just clicking on the Discussion topic TEAL THURSDAYS......  Of course, you can always continue to peruse the site and to open your own Discussion topics as you see fit.

So welcome. I am truly sorry for your diagnosis but we are are all here for you whenever you need us. Good luck with the rest of your chemo. You and I will both finish about the same time, although for me it's my third time around being my fifth year since diagnosis.  If I can offer any solace though, we've never seen so much research effort and release of new treatments and drugs as we have in the past 3 or 4 years. The Zejula you'll be starting is one of many examples. So we are living longer and better lives now.  It's still a scary disease, for sure...but now one with much hope attached. 

Fearless
     <3 

• @Fearless - Vol Mod
    Dearest Fearless, your every word has a positive uplifting feeling of great empathy, understanding and support. The only 2 words that come to mind after reading what you've written...Thank You.
    Thank You for your time, honesty and reaching out.
    Knowing I can think or reread what you've said will, I'm sure, lift the gray clouds hanging above my head the past few days.
    Thank you so much for the information as well.
  • walkabout
    edited April 2021
    Hi Heather, @heather33

So good to read your post of March 21st  and in response to your request "My need to find a Group like this is to meet new friends in a place only I can go...for wisdom, comfort, and support during this most unexpected experience of my life" I  would like to extend an invitation to join us on the 2nd Tuesday of month via Zoom for an hour and meet other women from the lower Mainland who have been diagnosed with Ovarian Cancer. Their virtual companionship, experiences and wisdom might make your experience a little lighter- 

We are meeting tomorrow (April 13th ) at 10 am for an hour- please be in touch via email to [email protected] and she will send the link.if this message reaches you post tomorrow morning and you would like to join us each month, please be in touch with Tracy and your name will be added to the distribution list. 

Maybe will meet soon virtually - Diane