Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis ([email protected]).

Teal Tuesdays - Live Online Chat! (Discontinued indefinitely)

Comments

• Hi @Linda
  • Hi @flowergirl how are you? I didn't forget this week lol
  • Hi everyone 😀
  • Hi- doing ok and glad you could all join us.
    on th the iPad tonight so it is slower
    snuggled on the sofa with a fire tonight
  • The genetics  webinar is coming up this week
    next Tuesday is World Ovarian Cancer Day

• Glad to hear. Did you enjoy the weekend? Was nice and sunny then cold, rain and snow Monday. That's Manitoba for ya lol
  • Hi @Flowergirl Good to hear you’re doing ok.  I got good news yesterday 😁 Finished 6 chemos and scan results yesterday shows lymphs are a bit smaller. Oncologist agreed to give me a break from more chemo to see my hip surgeon on Friday. I need a hip replacement (badly) from being on dexamethazone too long. SO excited coz I’ll finally be getting a new hip so that I can get on with the rest of my life (its been holding me back) and anxiety has been thru the roof. Oncologist has scheduled another scan in 2 1/2 months (to give me time for new hip and recovery) 🧚‍♀️
  •  :) that is good news and nice to have the break from chemo

• Glad to hear Linda that's great news!
  • Thinking of @red1976 and @JaneWest hope you are doing well this evening
  • Thank you 🙂   My sister taught me how to knit and she created a monster. It’s a great distraction and lots of fun ! 
  • So next week, hoping those of you on the chat will be able to join in and help with a project I am in the process of creating
    It will be a project by survivors for survivors, a way to keep us connected on May 8 and throughout the year.......
  • That is great @linda... I can only do finger knitting so far!
  • Hi @Flowergirl For sure - I would love to help you with your project.
  • Sounds exciting hope I'll be home in time!
  • I will post throughout the day on a Tuesday to try and get everyone involved.
    Get your creative hats on and think of:
    Hope, Inspiration, Friendship and more.
  • Have a great week ladies !  Bye 👋
  • Bye @Linda
  • Good night 
    hope to see you all back here on Tuesday May 8 at 7:00 pm CST
  • Sorry I missed the chat again. I really like @terrylee 's idea about getting this information out regularly, in pamphlet or card format, to women for their health check ups. Women are being educated on and reminded about what they should be tested for at different ages. We need to get the ovarian cancer info in there as well-known all the time, on a continual basis. I would also say that the card or pamphlet must include personal stories from women who are dealing with OC. Short descriptions of their experiences finding out they had the disease, because so many of us have been sent off with a Dr comment such as " it's bad gas", or "irritable bowel syndrome". It's very hard for us to decipher these symptoms: could be fatigue frm busy work/life; bladder changes or bloating due to age/menopause; etc. I need women to know all those symptoms could possibly be something much more serious. And we know what hassles with no screening test plus vague symptoms: diagnosis at advanced stage disease.
  • HI @JaneWest - agreed, hoping to work with other organizations to educate others. 

Hope you can all join us tomorrow at 7:00 PMCST here on the live chat!
  • Good evening everyone ! I hope you are all doing well and enjoying nice weather where ever you are!
    Below is the link for you to send to family, friends and contacts

Today, on World #OvarianCancerDay, send your federal elected representatives a letter advocating for #ovariancancer research. Just five minutes of your time can make a big difference.

Write now at ovariancanada.org/Get-Involved/Advocate/Email-your-elected-reps

• Hello everyone - if you would like to participate in messages of hope project - please direct message me and I'll let you know the details. These messages will be distributed to the survivors at the support group meetings or conferences.
  • Hi @kittycat - welcome - hope you are doing well tonight!
  • Hi there @flowergirl and @kittycat how are you both?
  • hi- doing ok - thanks -  enjoying our great weather
    Looking forward to meeting with the local in person support group next week as I missed the last meeting
    How are you tonight?

• hi @emsneil - how are you feeling tonight?

• I'm good thank you. Enjoying the nice weather as well, finally got my bike out.

Hi @emsneil how are you?

•  :)

• hello @midcanada - how are you doing?
    @Quiltmama and @red1976 - we are on the chat if you are around tonight