Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

Biopsy Results

Options
Hi Friends! 
I just wanted to share with you all what has been going on this week for me. I have already had frustrations with not being able to complete my chemo round on Monday,  due to a second severe reaction to the paclitaxel.  So, mostly I have been feeling okay all week,  not much for side effects from the carboplatin.  Although tonight I have found myself to be quite weak. 

I had a biopsy on my uterus last week,  and received a call from the doctor with the results of that. There is cancer in the lining of my uterus. My oncologist is not keen on trying to do the hysterectomy again, since there were complications the first time around, with hemorrhaging and such. So, I have been referred for radiation.  

Now I guess I just wait and see what the next steps are. I did get a call today as well for a follow-up meeting with my oncologist next Thursday.  I'm sure that things will be clearer after that. 

I'm just frustrated and worried. If there is cancer throughout my uterus,  does that mean my stage will be upgraded now? Will we do chemo and radiation at the same time? Or will I have to complete chemo and then do radiation? So many questions. But, all I can do is be thankful that I live in the city I do, and that I fully trust the team who has been caring for me since this whole journey started. I really do feel they are doing their best for me, and believe that I can reach out to the team at any time for any concerns. So, for that, I will find peace of mind,  and trust that I will get the information I need when the time is right.

Comments

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @jrh78 what an ordeal this must be for you. I truly admire your strength and courage as you travel this path.  You are so right to rely on your health care professionals to address the combination of issues holistically.  They will have the best plan for you moving forward now that a complete picture is available.  Your confidence in them will help carry you through.

As for the the paclitaxel sensitivity, there are options to replace it that I'm sure your oncologist is exploring and they look at any changes to your treatment plan resulting from the latest news. I have a severe allergy to paclitaxel so an alternative, Gemcitabine, replaced it when I went through chemo four years ago and is being in administered in combination with Carboplatin again for my recurrence.  

IF you haven't already, go to the OCC website https://ovariancanada,org   There is a wealth of information there along with a booklet, By Your Side, that you can order that is enormously helpful navigating a first time diagnosis and treatment.  

Please keep us posted and reach out and let us know how we can help anytime. 
     <3