Possible/probable disease progression during first line chemo

Hello teal sisters. I'm feeling really discouraged so I just need to vent. I finished first line chemo on Sept 24 - was so happy to be over that hurdle! Unfortunately, the CT follow up scan shows possible progression of disease. There is nodularity and edema in the pelvis suggestive of metastatic peritoneal disease. My CA-125 was 37 post surgery and 40 post chemo. My oncologist is not sure, as the images don't appear as bad as the radiologist suggests. She wants me to wait 2 months and repeat the CT scan. If progression is confirmed (platinum resistant), I will probably need to go on next line chemo right away. Not sure if I can physically or emotionally handle that....wondering if anyone else has not had at least a little bit of a break with no evidence of disease - any suggestions on how to handle it?
Thanks in advance


  • @cbot I am so sorry to hear the results of your follow up.  We had all so hoped for a good result when you completed your first-line treatment recently.  I know how let down and worried I was when I recurred but that was over a year after my original chemo so I can only imagine how you're feeling right now.  

    Hoping we have some others in the community with similar experience to share with you and help buoy your spirits. Please keep us posted on next steps for you and anything we can do to help support you through this disappointing time.  <3
  • Hi CBOT,  I am in a similar situation to you in regards to my quick recurrence. I finished my first round of chemo on December 5th 2019 and was put on Lynparza on Dec. 29, 2019.  Unfortunately, my cancer recurred and it was caught early as a result of my monthly CA125 bloodwork.  I had rising numbers in March & April 2020 and after a discussion with my oncologist, I had a CT scan at the end of April 2020.  The CT scan didn't show any unusual. My doctor gave me the option to wait and redo a CT scan in 2 month or do a PET scan 2 weeks after the CT scan.  I chose the PET scan and it showed cancer cell activity.  Instead of waiting and having the cancer develop further, the PET scan gave the doctor and me the information needed to move forward with chemo treatments starting May 25, 2020. 

    Instead of waiting, I would suggest to push the doctor to order a PET scan.

    Good luck and all the best to you.
Sign In or Register to comment.