Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• Hi everyone. I keep forgetting about the Teal Thursdays, and want to participate. Unfortunately today is now booked with other commitments and I won’t be able to join you. I have a question: I had to do a search for the keywords “Teal Thursdays” in order to find this thread under the category “Encouragement and Support”. Is there any way to make a separate category for Teal Thursdays so that it stands out, and to sign up for some kind of reminder notification through email? I am looking forward to the Teal Tea next week.
  • Forgot to mention that I just used the little star feature to bookmark this thread, so hopefully your comments will appear in my email account as they do with the other threads that I have bookmarked this way, and that will be like a reminder to keep my Thursdays free at 10 AM pacific time.
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Good morning @PaulineJ… I miss some Thursdays as well. Great dialogue, and place for encouragement for eachother! Have a great day, great week, and see you another Thursday! Laura
  • Hi ladies, working today so I won't be able to join in later,but  hope everyone is doing well..Had my 4 months check up yesterday, CA is 9.25 and rest of blood work looks good,oncologist also did  a pelvic and vaginal examination. I see him back in 4 months for blood work and check up.Hope you ladies have a great session today and I will read all the comments later.Anyone in treatment stay positive and all the best.
  • THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 23....AND WHAT ABOUT IT?  Well summer's over and fall is officially here AND it's time for another live chat !  So welcome everyone.

I must admit to some distraction today. It's my husband's 70th and I want the day to be special for him.  But how do you truly thank some one who's been your rock through thick and thin for almost 40 years, and who, at reaching this milestone, still has the same spring in his step and sense of humour. It's a work day for him. Couldn't convince him to take the day off. So no party but there will be the perfect martini waiting on his arrival home, rack of lamb, a nice bottle of wine, some birthday cake.  Our son's will zoom in to sing him a happy birthday.  And a wonderful tribute on Facebook to share with his friends all over the world.  And, of course, I'll take pictures to add to our memories.

Reminders?
    • I've posted a hold the date for this fall's symposium.  More to come but definitely worth participating if you can. It' will be virtual and you're able to go on and off as your personal schedule and topics of interest permit. 
    • Teal Teas are back.  Love the new set up with one session applying to all, one to young survivors only and one to survivors of ten years or more.  Go to the Ovarian Cancer Canada website, Events, Local Events to keep on top of the schedule and register.

Well gals, it is 1PM EDT and I guess we're ready to roll.  For anyone new to our live chat, if you wish to participate you must sign in before clicking on the Teal Thursday....discussion topic. But you're always welcome to just view and follow the chat.  For those who want to check in with those in our group, say hello and let us know how you are or how we can help.  Over to you gals...........
  • gaylestorm
    Options
    Good morning everyone.  I’m currently doing chemo so one finger typing.  I had great visit with oncologist and we think the chemo is working even though ca 125 through the roof.  Funny how one day things look bleak and next so much better
  • Hey @Rad Sorry you can't join us today but wow on the results of your checkup.  Another happy dance for us to do today!  Stay well gal.  

@PaulineJ Sorry also you can't join today but so glad to hear you're going to make a point of checking in next week or whenever convenient for you.  As an FYI, the Teal Thursday link is prominent on the OVd home page. It's usually the first or second of the Discussion topics listed as an Announcement and always highlighted.  It gives you immediate access to partcipate in this conversations if you sign in to OVd first but it's always accessible to review historical discussions.  
  • Hello ladies
  • CountryLiving
    CountryLiving Peer Support Vol
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod wishing your husband a very happy 70th birthday!! sounds like a wonderful dinner and evening.

• ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Hellllooo Thursday!  I am still processing last nights resiliency session. Cried my way through it. But took notes. And took action (baby steps) afterwards with a 20 sec hug with my son..and a long “alone” walk this morning.   Happy 70th!  Facebook really does help with the connection
  • Hello all:) I am curious about one-on-one counselling resources...any but know about that. I find support groups too overwhelming.

• lol anybody...not any but

• CountryLiving
    Options
    Listening to a webinar on the emotional effects on cancer..very good
  • @gaylestorm wow again More great news today to dance to.  I might have to set up a conga line!  And yes. often the CA result is directly opposite what a scan shows, that's why they really rely on scan results for diagnostic and treatment purposes.  My own view after five years is that the CA rely is just a flag that more investigation might be warranted. In any event, there you go gal....bleak can quickly turn back into hope with this disease and all the improvements being made in treatment.  Hoping your good results continue.  
  • I missed the session last night. One of those days I was cancered out and had to step away. But looking forward to hearing his approach on video when it's posted. I taught and ran workshops on resiliency for 40 years so wasn't worried about missing anything critical but it refreshers when you have some personal expertise in a subject is always valued..  Glad to hear you enjoyed it...notwithstanding the tears.

@MarlaOMarla if your cancer centre has a social work department, get your cancer care team give you a referal. They likely have social workers there who can give you the one on one you want and if not, should be able to help you find it. I linked up  with a social worker just after I completed treatment and we've been together four years now.  She's been invaluable to helping me stay balanced.  

Hey @CountryLiving - glad to see you with us. And Wayne says thank for the birthday wishes.

• ToughAsTeal
    Options
    @MarlaOMarla I have done a few over the phone sessions with a social worker? Through Juravinski, it’s ok, but not what I need I think. I got more from last nights session.  I also think, it’s ok for me to not feel tied to one counselling type or person.  I know my needs, my outlook is bound to change and grow.  So I am very open to suggestions. I might email the fellow who spoke last night to see if he has any suggestions for my area. 
    @fearless my ca125 went up, after 2 chemos. 3rd chemo is tomorrow. I had you in my head when I saw the number.  Scan is next week. Port is also next week. 
    @gaylestorm I will be in that conga line. Might even do the hokey-pokey! 

• @Fearless - Vol Mod -  best birthday wishes to your hubby!  It sounds like a great birthday celebration and tribute for him!! 

@gaylestorm - so glad to hear that the chemo is doing it's thing - yay!  Happy dance for sure!

@Rad - Great news on your check up too!  
  • CountryLiving
    Options
    Listening to a webinar from CCSN Canadian Cancer Survivor Network on Emotional effects on cancer presented by a Dr. Very informative.
  • @Fearless - Vol Mod and @ToughAsTeal thank you both. I just made a call to The Heart Place, the cancer society where I am located in Oshawa, and set up a call. So thank you for this chat, I was able to take that step.

• CountryLiving
    Options
    Ladies I will be in the conga line too... appt last week with oncologist says I am 18 months no signs of cancer.!!! yipee
  • @ToughAsTeal yes I can't count the number of times the nurses or my oncologist would come in all happy and pumped because my CT scan was showing great results and I'd be saying but...but....but my CA 125 has tripled and there response would always be, who cares....any number of things could have set it off.  Let the scan tell you what's going on ...and remember, right now you're only into the first couple of chemo cycles. Sometimes the effects take a bit to kick in. Not trying to give you false hope here but I'm an advocate of not worrying about something until I have all the information at hand.  Easy said ,not always easy to do.  And good luck with the port. It's been a life saver for me. 

• @Tinazzie
    Happy to see you today. What's new?
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    @CountryLiving is there a link for that? Or sign up?  It’s what I am ready for. 
    @MarlaOMarla very good to hear that you called👍👍👍
    @Rad I also wanted to send you a “yeah”  for your recent check up!  
  • I had some good news too at my 1-year post treatment appointment!  Although CA-125 slightly higher than post chemo test, but still well within range.  CT scan showed no apparent disease or spread.  So I am, as you can imagine, very relieved and grateful.  Will do my best to make each day count and try not to keep looking over my shoulder quite so much. 

The scan did show other degenerative and nerve damage to my spine, unrelated to the cancer, but still concerning and is the likely cause my pain and difficulty with the bowels.  More investigation needed on that front.  But that's for another day...
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    @CountryLiving that is wonderful news! 
  • And yet again another happy dance for @CountryLiving....starting to think we are getting past the congo line and into the hokey pokey.  Just thinking a couple of weeks ago everyone was announcing recurrences, issues with treatment, high CA's ....and now here we are a bundle of joy this week. It sure can change fast...and fortunately right now for the better for everyone.  My next CT in 2 weeks and results on the 13th.That will determine whether my hiatus from treatment gets extended or we need to start looking at new treatment options. I'm quite prepared for either.  All of part of the living with the disease.  

• CountryLiving
    Options
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    @Tinazzie and also good news, and, I like that perspective about not looking over your shoulder. Good visual for me.   Will use that tomorrow in chemo.  Plus visualizing the chemo shrinking “Percy Wetmore” (named the tumour) (the Green Mile) 
  • CountryLiving
    Options
    @Tinazzie congrats on the good news
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    @CountryLiving Thankyou for the link!  Will definitely be looking through this!