Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Community Champion. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Comments

• Hi all
    Been busy driving back and forth to Toronto. My sister-in-law decided to invite everyone up for a BBQ last Saturday…so lucky me got to drive to and from Toronto three times in one week!! 🤣🤣 It was my husband’s side of the family…was a nice visit.
    Trial is going ok…sort of. I feel ok - no side effects. BUT just got my CA125 results and they increased by 500. My gut says they are going to drop me from the trial real soon. I’m just not sure if they will do it next cycle or wait for my next CT. When they do drop me, they will refer me to PMH Ovarian Oncology. This is good and what I’ve wanted. I just have a specific oncologist at PMH in mind and I know my own Onc can get me in to see her. So I may have to do some fancy footwork (self-advocate 😁) to get in to see who I want.
    They have decided to drain/biopsy the pleural effusion in a couple of weeks. I’m glad I’m getting it done now. Will see what’s up with that!
    I drove home from Toronto today after being there for three nights…got home at 8 am (left Toronto just before 6) 🚙🏁zoom-zoom!! Like @JoanEG, I am having a busy weekend - kids and dogs all coming up 😵‍💫 for the long weekend, busy getting backyard and pool set up. Hubby is doing cleaning washrooms duty 🧻🤣. Should be a good time. My oldest son’s birthday is tomorrow, my birthday in a couple of weeks and puppy’s too! Also getting away to a cottage in Quebec at the end of the month…add to that trial and procedure appointments I have!! Phew!! The month is going to go by so quickly.
    Have a great long weekend everyone.

• I Hope everyone enjoyed Canada Day! I went for a long walk, and had a lovely lunch with friends and then was so tired I fell asleep at 4 and couldn’t get up to go down to the beach for fireworks. I love seeing them, but I’m finding myself exhausted more frequently these days.

I’m in Toronto for tests at Princess Margaret hospital for a clinical trial. I will need to come back for a CT scan and biopsy before I can begin treatment. I’m worried about the fact that I havent been able to have any treatments since May 2nd. The waiting is rough, especially after my oncologist told me I only have a few months on May 23.

I’m focusing on having as much fun as possible every day! In Oakville today to see friends and will be staying with some other dear friends tomorrow. This is the positive side of having to be in Toronto for 2 days 3 out of 4 weeks every month.

Prayers and positive energy to all of you beautiful women! Stay strong!

• Sending prayers to you @Sandi6 I hope you have success with your trial at PMH 🙏🙏❤️

• Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator

I am sharing a personal message I received from our @babs272

hello strong woman, hope you are still amongst us. Update, I am now in Hospice care. Chemo,is not working any longer. We tried it all.i have now accepted this is the last leg of my journey. I have had a lot of breathing issues and panic and of course the anxiety that comes with it.i just want to die whenever it happens. Thankyou Strong Woman forvthevsupportbyou have given me over the years. Best of luck on your journey.

If we can all send her some well wishes in this last part of her journey I am sure she would appreciate it.

• @babs272 you are in my prayers 🙏❤️ wishing you relief and comfort from your pain. I hope you can feel the love and support we are all sending your way.

• @babs272 keeping you in my prayers and sending you strength and love. May the last leg of your journey be a peaceful one. 🙏❤️

• @babs272, I’m so sorry to hear that your treatments are no longer working. Thinking of you and remembering how strong you have always been and sending you much love, peace and strength on this leg of your journey. 🤗❤️

• @babs272 Sending you peace and love for your transition to the other side.

• @babs272 I’m so very sorry to hear you’re at the end stage, and wish you a peaceful and comfortable journey. Sending love and prayers 💜🙏💜

• @Sandi6

So glad to hear that you are eligible for a clinical trial. Which trial are you going to be participating in? Will you be staying with friends on treatment days or have you considered staying at the Princess Margaret Lodge (they have a shuttle to the hospital)?

I am going to be at PMH and PM Lodge on July 9th (with hubby) and then again on the 14th, 15th and 16th. Maybe our paths will cross and we can say Hi and chat a bit.

I hear you on wait time! The wait between last treatment and beginning of next treatment/trial is a difficult time. You just want to get on with it! Hang in there. Once you have completed all the pre-trial steps (they get the results very quickly) and they verify your eligibility criteria, you will be in treatment lickety-split!

• @babs272

You are in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you comfort and peace. ❤️

• @babs272 .My thoughts and prayers with you at this difficult time.

• Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator

Good Afternoon Ladies. How are we all fairing today? It is a warm one today in southwestern in Ontario. The air is on to combat some of the humidity out there today. It can be wearing on one when it is so hot out. Hope everyone is staying cool.

I am at my parents in Belleville and enjoying my time with them. Lots of day to day everyday kind of stuff happening but nice just the same. Time with them is always nice to have. My Mom and I did a painting project together so that was fun too. Couple more days then hubby will come stay a night and we will head out Sunday. Apparently our dog at home has taken a pair of my "hospital" pj's that I had in my bag for packing and is sleeping with them. Guess he misses me is why he has done it.

So, we are thinking that I am coming off the ports when I return to see how I fair out. I think I will be fine and will be happy with that. I started back on my Letrozole and it seems to have me feeling better in general. I am hoping it is the piece of the puzzle that was missing, I also got an appt with the Oncologist in a couple wks time and will be interested to see both my weight situation and bloodwork, Get another marker to go by and see what they are saying about it all. Curious is mostly it.

So, we have our @babs272 starting her end journey which is sad. She has been a part of this site and I am saddened to hear her current situation. I am thankful she is where she wants to be which is Hospice and receiving the care she needs. May you be surrounded with love, care and kind people and family this last part of your journey,

We had some having surgery last week and I hope they are doing well too, For those starting treatment or in treatment, I hope all is well there too. Some may even find themselves NED and that is great news too, Wherever you are in your journey, come on out and tell us and let us know where you are at.

• Hello ladies

Today in Montreal is a warm one.. the hubby is supposed to change the front brakes on my car today and I am expected to be his cheerleader and hang around him outside while he does so. Yay....…. ( Insert sarcasm) He is a perfectionist and always takes about 10000× longer to do things... I'm sure some can relate to people like this lol

Tomorrow the dogs arrive and I am happier than a pig in sh!#

Like @Strongwoman mentioned some had surgery last week and hopefully they are recovering swiftly. @clearcell3 you were in pain the other day, with dropping oxygen levels I hope this has been relieved . @JoanEG how goes the PARP inhibitor?

• Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator

Yes @melissa I can relate to the perfectionist hubby and tots get where you are coming from. Cheerleader eh? Ya wonder why they like that but then it explains the one man working and the others milling about chit chatting scenarios that we all see in many household garages daily, ;)

@JoanEG You had a lot going on in your personal life as well. How is that all panning out? Good,

• Happy Thursday beautiful sisters.

We’re still in Toronto since we received an appointment time last night for a CT scan tonight at 9 pm, so our plans changed. Im grateful that my husband is a very patient man and has been quietly researching all day while I’ve been sleeping. My blood results from yesterday show that I’m anemic which could explain why I’m so tired all the time.

Its very hot in the city, so we’re looking forward to getting home to the lake. It’s usually 10 degrees cooler there than in the city.

@Strongwoman it’s great that you have this time with your parents. My dad has passed and my mom is in Calgary and I miss her terribly. Neither one of us is healthy enough to fly so we’re unable to visit. We talk on the phone and FaceTime every day which is a great way to connect, but it’s not the same as a visit. I would love to give my mom a hug! I’m happy to hear that Letrozole is helping you to feel better. I hope you continue to feel better.

@GloHo this trial is called EPOCH, out of Australia. Steve and I are staying at a close friends condo overlooking High Park which is gorgeous. My friend has been coming home from their cottage to cook for me and take care of me while I’m going through this which I love. We have keys, so can come and go as we please. It would be great to see you for a visit when we’re both in Toronto!

@melissa i hope you have fun cheerleading! You’re fortunate that your husband is handy enough to change your brakes.

Have a wonderful day everyone! It’s almost the weekend!!! We have a retirement party for a friend who just retired from teaching and being a principal on Saturday, and will be boating as much as possible, weather permitting.

Big hugs and lots of love XO

• Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator

@Sandi6 Sounds like you are in an upswing of things. CT scan tonight and plans to go boating when you get back home. So nice! Yes, I do find it fortunate to be able to do this with my parents. It's why I try to come this way while I am well enough to do so. One never knows when that may cease to be an option for me at all. I truly do appreciate it for what it is.

I have not heard of the trial you are beginning. Is it a fairly new one?

• Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator

Well I am signing off for now ladies. Enjoy the rest of your week and weekend!

• Good afternoon sisters. I am Busy, busy with family! My daughter, son-in-law, grandson & his partner are all here from Saskatchewan. We are gathering Saturday for the wedding of my oldest granddaughter. I’m really looking forward to it but it is going to be HOT!
    On the OC front I got a call from my oncologist last Friday to say she is referring me to a bowel surgeon. The partial obstruction although not any worse is also not ant better. The chemo didn’t shrink the mass that is attached to it enough to make a difference. The silver lining would be the ability to eat good foods again! Another hoop to be jumped through… for now I will enjoy the company of my family and the happy times we are having.

Take care everyone.

• Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator

Let me know how you make out with the bowel surgeon @JoanEG I will be very curious to see what they have to say.

Yes, you are a busy, busy lady this month. Enjoy but try not to overdo it either, Take care

• @Strongwoman so far I haven’t heard from the surgeon’s office but hopefully soon!

Here are a couple of pics from my granddaughters wedding. It was an amazing day! The last one is my granddaughter and I.

• Strongwoman
    Strongwoman Moderator

So beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Looks like a great day for all. I love her dress too! @JoanEG

• @JoanEG what beautiful pictures! I'm sure it was a marvelous day

• @Strongwoman @melissa thank you! It truly was a beautiful day, a beautiful venue and beautiful people.

• wow! Absolutely stunning! I’m happy you enjoyed this special day 💕

• @JoanEG

What a beautiful bride! The day looked lovely for a wedding and the venue looks amazing. Great picture of you both. Wonderful memories. 💐

• Hi everyone. OMG! Good news!! Came to Toronto for my pleural effusion drain today and was told that there is now not enough fluid to do a drain! So, my pleural effusion has decreased since the May CT scan. Yippee!!
    I asked a lot of questions and will post what I now know about pleural effusion drain preparation under the treatment category.

• Hi, it’s Bozenka, or Bo here. I live in Kitchener,Ontario and I am treated in Credit Valley where standard of care chemo stopped working in April. I am being pre-screened for 2 clinical trials in PMH. My studies are called in short LY ESPERAS PHARMA , and AZD FONTANA. In the meantime I find back pain on right side very difficult due to big tumor on the liver. So it’s a battle with pain each day because I find hydromorph has stopped working for me also. I am wondering if that has happened to anyone of you also ?

• @GloHo thank you. The wedding was at my son & daughter-in-law’s they have a gorgeous place on 7 acres.

• @Bojenka Do you mean platinum based chemotherapy drugs or all approved alternative chemo drugs stopped working? I thought I was platinum resistant but the oncologist I saw this morning thinks I might not be. With a 7 month break he thinks I should try it again (cisplatin). My GP also approved a higher dose of statin, from 10mg to 40mg. There is some evidence that statins can work to extend the effectiveness of platinum drugs. Thought I try it out. Why not!