Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• Strongwoman
    Options
    @Bojenka What did you find resonated with you the most from the Jennifer Turner presentation?
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @Eileen Anything that "stands out" for you from Day 2?
  • In October I celebrated my 60th birthday.  Since I loved traveling before being diagnosed in Feb 2020, I decided to be brave and join my sister for 2 weeks in France.  We had a great time and for me living life with cancer.
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @Bojenka First, Happy Belated Birthday!
    Second, how wonderful for both yourself and your sister. So many memories were probably made during your trip. Amazing!
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Hi Ladies, 
    I finally made it home and to my laptop.  I'm glad to hear those of you who've attended the Symposium or parts of it felt they'd received value.  @Bojenka Jennifer Turmer delivered two Speaker Sessions for us last year and ran  a followuip group that I hear was really helpful for the gals facing the last months of their lives.  She is a terrific resource to our community.   @Strongwoman, I'm embarrassed to say I missed both nights myself.  I just hope, now that I'm off Avastin and Caelyx that my brain is able to sweep their effects out.  How can one possibly set herself up mid afternoon so she would be ready to listen to the Symposium and then two hours later totally forgot about it....worse yet, did the same thing the second night.  Sheesh.

• Eileen
    Options
    Good morning @Strongwoman yes from what i did catch actually from the last bit i caught was the speaking of  support from the 2 ladies.  And from all the comments.  That really was moving.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Bojenka how wonderful to have you join us.  It's been awhile.  Happy 60th....a great milestone and with the added trip to France. Oh my, my favorite place in the world.  You are a  lucky duck !
  • Taita
    Options
    Happy Thursday everyone.  I haven’t been online lately and unfortunately didn’t attend the Symposium. Monday morning I was admitted to hospital with Febrile Neutropenia. Scary stuff, but part of the journey for me it seems. It won’t be the last time. The only way to ensure you don’t get it is to stop chemo and I am not there yet, especially when I am stable. But it is getting tougher. Taxol takes its toll on my neutrophils and WBC’s. I am home with more antibiotics recovering but it is a slow process. I think I need a nap so I won’t be on for long. Hope everyone is doing well and has a great weekend.  #strength
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @Fearless_Moderator
    I wouldn't be embarrassed at all. You are undergoing treatment. That in and of itself is difficult enough.
    If I didn't write things down, I wouldn't remember anything!
  • Eileen
    Options
    Good morning @Fearless_Moderator. Oh sorry to hear u missed it. One thing that helps me to remember now is my alexa i got from my kids about 2 yrs ago. I cannot remember sometimes my apoint or med so i put in my alexa app and she reminds me.
    That might be an option for u if u have one.
    @Bojenka happy belated bday. I hope you enjoyed your holiday.
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @Taita Sounds like a rough few days for you. You sound like you are aware of it occurring again and will send you strength to carry on. Rest and take care of yourself.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Taita I'm so sorry to hear you're unwell and wish you a speedy recovery and no recurrences. It is  a dangerous state to be in.  I'm being switched over to Gemcitabine once I complete this current round of radiation and Gem is very hard on the neutrophils so I'm told they'll be watching them closely.  In any event I know you have great support from your family...and you always have us.  Everyone here is sending positive energy so you heal quickly.
  • Thank you @Strongwoman. I am sorry to hear about the fecal impaction.  And you are able to stay humorous about it.  One of the memories from my trip is constipation for 3 days, and a trip to the pharmacy for products to relieve my condition. Bought tea which helps Elimination. Now it’s a code word for us :)
  • End of day 2 had research scientist update all the trail and stages each are at
  • Trials I mean
  • Eileen
    Options
    Sending hugs your way @Taita
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @Bojenka Sometimes all we have is our "warped" sense of humour through it all.
    That being said, I do not wish to experience it again!

• Strongwoman
    Options
    Ohh I almost forgot. I was approved for Trametinib. I start it Thurs next week. Have CT scan Wed evening and will start it the day after. This is purely to add to the research and have a baseline going forward. No other reason to delay starting it.
    I will be taking it in conjunction with Letrozole
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Strongwoman thanks for asking about my health.  I've now completed 3 of 5 radiation sessions and amazed how fast the process is. I'm in and out in 15 minutes. Is it doing any good....time will tell.  It's too early to notice any improvement or change in my right leg.  Hope relieving he psoas muscles from the nodule pressing on it should help if it's actually the culprit causing the discomfort.  Today my lower back and both hips, along with my shoulders are alll killing me.  I'm not much of a pill taker but I think a couple of Tylenol are in order this afternoon. 
  • Eileen
    Options
    So far being in gem and avastan i found that my platlets are the ones dropping to the point where with my first sesson i only got to have 1 chemo. It took like 3cweeks for them to bounce back. So far with session 2 with lowering gem yesterday i was able to have my day 8. 2 weeks after my 2nd start to my 2nd cycle in the session even with filgrastin.
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @Fearless_Moderator I hear you about nit taking pills but one must also stay "on top of things" before they spiral. Rest and relax.
    Thank you for sharing and the update. Positive vibes it helps alleviate some of your symptoms.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Hi @Eileen.  Thanks for reminding about maximizing the benefit of Alexa.  Yes we  do have one and my husband uses it for many things including reminders. I think that will be my solution moving forward.  
  • Strongwoman
    Options
    @Eileen If I am reading that correctly, your neutrophils are bouncing back quicker this time?
  • Taita
    Options
    @Fearless_Moderator
    I am sure you are happy to be off the Avastin. I have been on it for almost 14 months and it isn’t fun.  But it is working, so there’s that. My Dr has told me that Gem is my next round.  I am still hoping for a Phase 1 Clinical Trial to give me a rest from all this but it is unlikely. @Eileen and @Strongwoman thank you for the positive thoughts.  Much appreciated.  

On a good news front, November 18th I will be celebrating my 65th Birthday. My children are having a party (not really a surprise anymore. Lol) on the 20th. My goal is to get energized and ready to enjoy it. 💃🥂
  • Taita
    Options

• Strongwoman
    Options
    @Taita How wonderful for you and all of your family to be able to celebrate together such a milestone!
  • Eileen
    Options
    Oh wow that was quick already about half way through i imagine its once a week??? @Fearless_Moderator. These days i forget how fast time is going by. Seems the older u get it just flies by. I do hope it helps to relieve your pain.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Strongwoman, Bojenka's suggestion is a good one.  I take 2 Senekot every night and that helps, generally, to keep me from getting constipated but on the occassions, mostly treatment related, that I need something extra I have  a cup of Smooth Move tea.  I find it relaxes me as well as stimulating my colon to cooperate 
  • Taita
    Options
    A little late but thought it would bring a 😊 
  • Eileen
    Options
    Oh my goodness how adorable!! She is so adorably cute. @Taita. Happy early bday. I myself will be turning 56 on Nov 26. 
    @Strongwoman yes my neutriphils and wbc are bouncing back with the help of filgrastin injections but the only thing it doesnt help is my platlet. This is what is stopping me from getting my gem every week it was almost up their last week at 93 but yesterday it was reading 117. So i got to have my 2nd round of day 8. My oncologist just postponed it and dudnt cancel it. I hope if i cannot have my 3rd sesson next week that she dies the same and postpones it. I do go in for an update ct on dec 16.