Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Options

Comments

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    THUS ENDS TODAYS LIVE ONLINE CHAT.  UNLESS YOU'D LIKE TO SEE ME TALK TO MYSELF lol.  

Happy days everyone, hopefully see you next Thursday.
     <3 
  • Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod Just a quick check in as I lay in a bed in Emerg. Initial thinking is my kidney stent has come dislodged (was to be replaced in August). Lots of blood in urine. Scary sight in the morning!  Anyways I am in the right place and hopefully we can take care of it here and I don’t have to go to Toronto. 🤞. Thank heavens it happened now and not in a few weeks!  Enjoy the sunshine everyone! 
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    @taita yes, thankfully happened now. Hope it can be corrected locally for you.  Sending a hug to you.
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options

THURSDAY JUNE 23 AND WE'RE OFFICIALLY INTO SUMMER NOW...

AND WHERE i AM WE DON'T NEED A DATE TO REMIND US. OH, HOW i LOVE THESE HOT SUNNY DAYS SITTING UNDER ONE OF MY MAPLES (dare not sit under the pear, they drop on my head) FOR SHADE LISTENING TO THE BIRDS CHIRP.  

WELCOME  to whomever is joining us today.  Say hi, introduce yourself, tell us what's on your mind today.

• Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    Ouch ladies, it's now 1:21 and I guess the beautiful day I'm experiencing here extends more broadly and everyone has chosen to take full advantage of it.  So I think I'd be wise to get in some sunshine myself and close the live chat for this week.  

To anyone who might come on line, sorry to have missed you. If you have an urgent need for feedback you can always private message me or open a new discussion topic and I'll ensure it's responded to.  

Cheers for now and wishing everyone a great week ahead.  Hope to hear from you next week.

<3 
  • Elsie13
    Options
    @Fearless - Vol Mod, thanks for being our moderator.  Have a great week. 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Fearless_Moderator Moderator
    edited June 2022
    Options

THURSDAY JUNE 30 AND WELCOME TO TODAY'S LIVE ONLINE CHAT.

I'm posting this early today as I may not be with you to host today's chat.  Side effects from chemo yesterday started to hit earlier than usual this time, coupled with the effects of the anxiety meds they now give me to help lower my BP but leave me drowsy to the extent nothing wakes me.  On a happier note, my CA125 has dropped another 500 points so I broke the 2000 mark.  Clearly the Avastin and Caelyx are still keeping my trend going downward.  Scan in two weeks will hopefully confirm that.   

Another happy note.  We have two new Peer Support Volunteers who have joined our team of 3, making it 5 plus me.  Please welcome the addition of  ToughAsTeal and Strongwoman to the existing group of Jiselle16, CountryLiving and Annie1950.   I'll be making a more formal announcement on the home page but wanted to give you all the scoop first.  I also want to add that along with helping me support you, these ladies are all survivors themselves, each facing their own challenges from time to time and look to each other and you for support.  Both Strongwoman and ToughAsTeal , as you will see from their recent posts and discussions are encountering some signficant challenges right now, yet still taking the time to be there for you  when they can.  And Countryliving, while good news on the OVC front, has recently lost her mother so has been quieter than usual on the site, understandably so.  Please give these gals an extra special hug.

So ladies for you it's close to or past 1pm and the chat is live but likely without me.  But you're all capable of chatting on your own so say hello and wait for the others to join in.  As for me, wish me "sweet dreams" and I'll be with you all next week for sure.

• ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Stupid cancer.
    😀🇨🇦
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Happy Thursday to all… I am looking forward to family time to acknowledge and celebrate Canada’s past present future!  Hoping for weather to hold out for the city’s planned fireworks.  
    Just got home from scan… and noticing it’s time to buy new “scan pants” (no metal, so no need to fumble my way into hosp gown with 3 arm holes!)
    How are you doing? Plans for the long weekend? 
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Well my Teal Sisters… Sending a big hoorah to @Fearless - Vol Mod for the CA125 drop! Sending hugs to everyone for the challenges life sends us, beyond this stupid cancer.
    Happy Canada Day

You have to sniff out joy. Keep your nose to the joy trail.

• Eileen
    Eileen Legacy
    Options
    Good morning everyone sorry i missed last few sessions. Been sleeping in but i read every weeks posts. Thats wonderful news @Fearless - Vol Mod that your CA125 is still dropping. Congrats to @ToughAsTeal and @CountryLiving.
    I am doing pretty well. Side effects have calmed right down. My CA125 did do a wee bit bump up by 13 last time but i am hopefully that it doesn't continue as they had lowered my Caeylx 2 sessions ago. I am hopefully I'll be able to have my caeylx put up this time around to . Other than a bit of acid reflux I am dealing with and a bit of sleeping issues i have been doing not too bad.
  • Eileen
    Eileen Legacy
    Options
    Oh i guess i should mention my Ca125 was at 32 but is now at 45 hence the 13 
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    @Eileen glad you popped in for update and that side effects have lessened.  In past my CA125 has gone up a bit, then dropped again during treatment.  There is that “margin”, yet it is hard to not put more weight to the number, I know.  
    Keep moving forward😀
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    3:30 and had my 'nap'...all of 3.5 hrs dead to the world.  Well, if that's what my body needed after yesterdays' chemo I"ll let her have it.  Feel quite refreshed now.

Sorry not to have attended the call but like the last couple of weeks. although two very important people, there was nary a soul participating again. To ToughasTeal and Eileen, keep moving forward.  You both know, one step back often sees two steps forward.

In light of the declining attendance I'm going do a little historical research ad  survey over the next week.  If this is a normal trend during the summer perhaps we'll suspend the live chat until September.  But it would be interesting to see if the timing would work better with a change now that there's some normalcy to work schedules again.  The day was picked because at the time most clinics and chemo seemed to be on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and the time was to try to accommodate the multiple time zones of our members.  Perhaps some changes there might be appropriate.  I'll post the survey on the home page but if you'd like to comment or offer suggestions here please go ahead.  

In the meantime I will go ahead with next Thursday's chat. So hope to see you all there.  I do know many of you canvass entries post the chat and that's great to hear.  Until then......

HAPPY CANADA DAY

• Annie1950
    Annie1950 Peer Support Vol
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I've had a long hiatus working on a cottage with spotty internet.  It's almost complete and looks great.  It was such great therapy concentrating on door knobs, paint colors and of course physical labor.  I recommend project therapy to anyone.  It takes your mind away from the big 'C'.  I definitely needed the positivity of the process.

This week was one of the best and one of the worst of my life.  I went to my granddaughters school to see her receive a humanitarian and citizenship award and I also found out that the beast is back.  What a shock!  My Ca125 was 12 at the time of my checkup in May.  

Fortunately for me I overindulged in  Niagara Cherries and ended up in hospital for five days with a bowel blockage   The accompanying CT scan showed new nodules pressing on my intestines.  Here we go again:(

I hope I have the mental strength  and endurance of @fearless and the rest of you ladies battling this monster.

• Hello,

i hope everyone enjoyed Canada Day in their own special way.  @Fearless - Vol Mod , I hope you are feeling better from the effects of chemo. Glad that you listened to your body and caught up on some rest. 

Welcome and heartfelt thanks to @ToughAsTeal, @Annie1950, @jiselle16, @CountryLiving and @Strongwoman for volunteering to help out with the moderation. 

@Annie1950, so sorry to hear about the return of the beast.  I am sure you too will find the strength and endurance as you say, of our fellow Teal Sisters.

Hugs and best wishes to all.

• ToughAsTeal
    Options
    Happy Thursday😀
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options

WELCOME TO OUR WEEKLY LIVE ONLINE CHAT ON THURSDAY, JULY 7.

I'm back in action today.  So looking forward to hearing from you all.  The last few weeks haven't had much participation.  Wondering is it the summer and normal slow down on the platform.  I"l looking into last years stats.  Or with folks going back to the workplace and more freedom to be out and about does this day and/or time work efficiently for all.  I would like your comments.  I'm happy to continue, or pause until the fall, or move the timing if something is more suitable understanding we have multiple time zones to cover.  

How was everyone's Canada Day?  Any special activities this year.  It was nice out here to see the celebrations back on the calendar again.  One more step towards normalcy although a bit scary to hear we're headed into a 7th wave.  

The July events are now listed.  Just the Teal Tea schedule and reminders about registering for the 2022 Walk of Hope if you're so inclined.  I expect the same for August and then back to more activities come September. 

So it's just after 1pm and time to start our chat.  Please say hello and let us know what's on your mind today.....

• Hello Ladies, happy to pop in for a little while this week. Glad to find you back in the saddle, @Fearless - Vol Mod
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    I had my scan last week. Results showing growth, yet my CA125 went down to 20.  Scan plus symptoms indicate kidney involvement so hoping continued good response from chemo will keep it stable.  I really really don’t want a stent/external pouch 
  • I have my 6-month check up coming up soon. Feeling really anxious because I got a call from Gyne Onc nurse the day after I did my CT scan, pushing my appointment ahead by a few days!  Never happened before. If anything, it’s usually the other way round. It was me who asked for the CT - almost a year since the last one. 
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Tinazzie welcome. Glad you can pop in for a bit.  How are you these days?  Anything new on the health or otherwise front?

@ToughAsTeal so sorry to hear the scan showed something you weren't expecting.  Every time my CA goes down I do a happy dance and then remind myself not to put too much credence in it.  It's a shame it's all we have, short of the scans, to monitor our conditions given how volatile the test is.  Chemo should help halt or limit progression though.  How much growth did the scan show?  Is the possible kidney involvement something new?
  • @ToughAsTeal, yes, hoping that your chemo continues with the good response!!  
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @tinazzie, your oncologist is probably organizing for his/her vacation so juggling some existing appointments. At least that's what I would assume unless someone tells me otherwise.  Think happy thoughts so you don't stress out  waiting for the consult.  
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    @Tinazzie I was thinking same as @Fearless - Vol Mod re dr vacation time
  • Taita
    Taita Legacy
    Options
    Good afternoon from Tuscany everyone!  I got on the plane and while I was still feeling the effects of the “mess” I have been feeling better each day! Today maybe the effects of a little heat stroke but managing. Just adding a few pics from Naples and Florence. I plan to keep positive and enjoy every minute of this trip! Will deal with the decision re changes in treatment when I get back! Until then I wish everyone positive outcomes and happy times! 😍
  • ToughAsTeal
    Options
    @Taita Ciao Bella!  I bet it is beautiful there! 
  • Thanks for the encouragement, @Fearless - Vol Mod!  That’s usually how I would look at it. Except that I have never really felt “ok” over the past 2 years - with so many issues. Hard to know what to think at times. Trying not to come across as a hypochondriac to the medical team and others, but it’s hard. 

• @Taita, so glad you made it!  I hope you enjoy every moment of the trip. Italy is one of my favourite places too!  Have fun and stay well ❤️
  • Fearless_Moderator
    Options
    @Taita
    Great pictures. I didn't realize it was a family trip.  What a wonderful way to make memories you can all share.  AndI take it the wee and gorgeous one is your grandchild or are there two of them.  Love the cafe and totally jealous I'm not sitting there with all of you.  Please do send us more pictures as you're able.  And totally agree with your stand on treatment.  Enjoy this moment in time for all it's worth.  You can deal with every thing else when you return.  Wow though that you'r'e feeling better each day.  You look so content and happy.