Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis (mfallis@ovariancanada.org).

TEAL THURSDAYS - Sign in and CLICK HERE TO ENTER LIVE DAYTIME ONLINE CHAT (1pm EST)

Comments

• my Amy aunt and uncle just dropped in unexpectedly so this may be tricky. I was going to propose we talk about nicest thing someone has done for us 
  • Hi @angel27. It's a pleasant day here in Southwestern Ontario. Just got back from chemo #5. Feel ok. I usually don't start to feel side effects till the following day. 
  • As far as the nicest thing someone has done for me: my coworkers have been awesome since my announced illness and leave of absence. For my birthday at the end of July they sent my a lovely fruit basket and flowers. On an ongoing basis they have been sending or dropping off meals. Very touching and so helpful, as I live alone.
  • Hi Cbot and Angel27

i have had many nice things done for me. Meals from friends ongoingly has been very helpful. Gift from past two employers was very touching. Drives to chemo also greatly appreciated. 

Just one more to go Cbot?
  • Hi @BeamBlossom. Yes, one more to go! I had to give myself Grastofil injections (like Neupogen) last time to boost my Neutrophils and will need to do so again, starting tomorrow. 
  • Ah, did they tell you what your neutrophils rose to? 
    I’m two months post chemo today, wahoo! And just getting my WBC and neutrophils back to normal now. RBC is still low.
    Bet you will be so glad to get that last one over with. 
  • The neutrophils only rose to 1.8, but that was enough to proceed with chemo instead of another delay. Hope it works again for the final chemo. Yes, looking forward to the last one!!!
  • Well that’s really great! I had neutrophil counts as low as 1.0 or 1.1 borderline for stopping chemo, but chemo went ahead anyway. Mine are currently just 2.2 so not too far ahead of you. 
  • Hello - sorry I'm late....anyone still on?
  • Ok, that puts it in perspective! I guess I was expecting the Grastofil shots to shoot the levels through the roof. My levels went as low as 0.4 when they opted to postpone.
  • @Cbot....glad to hear you made round 5!  Yay!
  • I see, yes, I’ve heard 0.5 is the point at which it is critical. 
    I just thought I’d be all back to normal now, it is frustratingly slow bouncing back.

Hi Tinazzie! Glad you can join us, how are you doing?
  • Thanks @Tinazzie. Cheerleading is most welcome! How are you doing?
  • HI @BeamBlossom!  I'm doing ok now, but I found round 6 hit me really hard with fatigue from about day 3 to day 7.  Hadn't experienced anything like that before with the other rounds, but - glad that part is over - at least for now! 
    How are you feeling?  
  • I guess I'm still waiting for this 21-day cycle to end, before I feel like this part of the treatment is over.  
  • @Tinazzie did you have your 6th and final chemo? 
    I had 7 altogether and found the last two took more than a week to get over. 
    The tiredness is still with me as my blood counts have not yet returned to normal and my thyroid is out of whack too. 
    So, patiently waiting to feel like my old self one day soon.
  • Managed to sneak away. Sounds like you are all managing fine without me. Lol 
  • Yes, this was my 6th and final chemo.  I guess we will have good days and bad days for quite a while as we move forward.
  • Like you, @cbot, the kindness and caring shown by my coworkers since my leave has been so touching and much appreciated.  
  • @Tinazzie : Wahoo! Nothing better than coming to the end of that marathon! 
  • Congrats to both of you, @BeamBlossomand @Tinazzie, for finishing your chemo. Quite an accomplishment! I know you'll be experiencing a slow but steady boost of energy and blood levels.
  • Sorry I kind of bailed.  Unexpected visitors are common on east coast 
  • Welcome back @angel27!
  • I think my expectations were rather overzealous, it takes longer than we’d like to recover from all those chemos 
  • @Tinazzie. Have they told you what your surveillance regime will be? 
  • Hi @angel27
    @BeamBlossom - I have a follow up appointment with the gyne onc in the first week of Oct and hope to better understand what the maintenance schedule will look like.  They were reluctant to have me do any scans or blood work in the near future, but finally agreed to a CT Scan before my appointment with them! 
  • @Tinazzie - well good for you, I could only get a CA125 agreed to. 
  • I will have a follow up with my medical oncologist who oversees my chemo here in Windsor ON at the end of October. I will have CT and bloodwork prior to that. I may alternate follow ups with the gyne onc who did my surgery at London Health Sciences. Not sure of frequency yet..  
  • I don't know if it was a good thing or not, @BeamBlossom!  The oncologist said she'd do it if,  "you're sure you can handle it".  So now I'm already worrying! 

Will be signing off now.  Stay well - wishing all a good week. 
    @cbot - hope you have a good post chemo week.
  • I'll be signing off as well. I appreciate the encouragement from my teal sisters who have completed their first cycle of chemo! Til next week.