Diagnosed Sept 2019 with High Grade Serous Group 3 C. I have received 3 rounds chemotherapy, then cytoreductive surgery, then 3 more rounds. Also have had colostomy prior to first chemo. They are investigating as to whether I am a good candidate for reanastomosis. Just wondering if anyone out there is in this category. I am currently 7 weeks post final chemotherapy. I say final but I realize it is not the last chemotherapy in my future. I responded extremely well to the protocol. My CA 125 last week was 11 and path report was as good as it could be considering my diagnosis.
I am also High Grade Serous 3C (2017), although likely really 3A or B since they discovered metastasis to my colon that was expected didn't exist. So while I had been prepped for a colostomy to occur as part of my surgery that didn't happen. Hopefully though you are a candidate for the reanastomosis. Both my father and my husband had colon cancer. My dad in his 80's. For him, the wait was a year before the reanastomosis could be done and even then, given some other medical conditions, he wasn't give much chance of surviving the surgery. He still opted to have it done and was fine. My husband, on the other hand, had the entire sigmoid removed and the colon resected simultaneously using, what was experimental then, laparoscopy. And he's fine. So wishing you the best on that front.
And congratulations on your most recent results. It does sound like your response to chemo was very positive and excellent to have that in your back pocket should more treatment be needed down the road. Good luck moving forward and hope you'll continue to reach out or share your experiences with this group.
Big virtual hug.....
Interesting to note that was Sept 2019.
In May 2017 I had had a colonoscopy which was negative.
I am also high grade serous 3C, but early 2017. One round of surgery followed by 6 cycles of chemo and NED for over a year before they found a recurrence. Although caught very early and have been on Olaparib ever since...almost two years now.
From my own experience, i had some vague symptoms....bowel mostly but not usual for me, so they began closer checking of my CA. It rose slowly over a couple of months but it wasn't until I hit the 500's that they scanned me again and found a couple of very small new tumors. Qualified for an Olaparib trial and been on that ever since. That was early 2019,
It sounds like your medical team have surveillance well in hand. The rising CA is really only an indicator that closer inspection might be appropriate but by no means a definitive indicator of cancer. All kinds of things can set it off. I had a little surgery a few weeks back and suddenly my CA was 1221...I thought I was going to faint. But told the inflammation as I healed from the surgery is likely what the test responded to. Go with the surveillance plan your medical team have. It sounds like they're on top of it. And if you do have a recurrence, it's not the end of the world. Many can be treated with further surgery....or chemo...or PARP's. Lots of gals I know of have recurrence once and even twice and are now cancer free.
I can tell you my Olaparib clinical trial, which I've been on almost two years now, is still working even though my CA125 has been slowly (other than that wild blip last time) rising since the summer. Scans show nothing has changed so I'm still on it. Yet I assumed the same as you...I'd be off it by now and back in chemo. We're just keeping up the regular monitoring and when it comes time to do something else...maybe never...we'll all figure it out together.