New on this site

Hi all,
I'm new to this site as I am a member on Inspire which is international. Looking for support and advise from woman who are survivors of OVC in Canada. 
I was diagnosed back in 2015 with Borderline 2B and on February 25, 2020 had debulking surgery for a recurrence which has now mutated to a Low Grade Serous Carcinoma. Can anyone give me some examples of how you are being treated by your oncologist if you have the similar subgroup as mine?

Comments

• Hello Cid1, I am  sorry to hear about your recurrence.   I am a survivor of High grade serous carcinoma stage 1C (2016 was my surgery) I completed chemotherapy on January 2017 - Low grade is better than high grade if you were to pick.  My treatment was surgery a total hysterectomy, bilateral oophorectomy  and then 6 months of carboplatin and taxol.  It has worked so far - I pray every day and look after myself more than ever.  Proper nutrition is key, no stress is also a big factor.  I wish you best of health and you will get through this~  Our minds help heal our body's.  
  • FlowergirlFlowergirl Mod Vol
    Hello @Cid1 - welcome to the chat site... hope you are managing ok @beachgirl
    I am hoping @Chezilme will be able to connect with you to chat about the similar diagnosis sub type as well. 
  • Cid1Cid1
    Thank you so much for the encouragement. I'm hoping the debulking surgery was all I needed but I am feeling some pain but trying to not let it take over.
  • Hi @Cid1,

I'll be happy to share my course of treatment for low-grade serous. I know that when looking at statistics low-grade can look like having a better outcome than high-grade but if I had to pick I would choose high-grade at 65 rather than low-grade at 31. Everyone's journey is different and in the end I would choose neither.

So I had a first surgery in Nov 2015 to remove a cyst on my left ovary that turned out to be cancerous. In February 2016 I had a second surgery to remove my left ovary and fallopian tube and omentum. Markers were going up slowly and in December 2017 I had multiple nodules in the abdomen up to the diaphragm. In February 2018 I had a major debulking surgery + total hysterectomy. From May to August 2018 I had chemotherapy (6 cycles of carboplatin+paclitaxel). In June 2019 some nodules appeared and marker was back up. So I was put on Letrozole, an aromatase inhibitor to block estrogen production. It worked for roughly 6 months. In September 2019 marker was rising again so we looked for clinical trials. And in February 2020 I started an immunotherapy trial. I have a scan Wednesday to see if it is working.

Let me know if you have any other questions, I'll be happy to help.
  • Cid1Cid1
    Hi Chezilme,
    You said you are Low Grade but what was your grade and where are being treated? 

• Cid1Cid1
    Hi Chezilme, When you get the time let me know how your scan went today and also let me know what grade your cancer was on original pathology. Which hospital are you being treated at?
  • MarilynMarilyn ✭✭✭
    edited May 14
    Welcome to OVdialogue.  There is a discussion about low grade serous that you might want to check out:

There is a little trick to use too, in order to tag someone in a conversation - if you use @resilient1 as I know she has low grade serous and may be able to share some things with you, too.