Community Connection: Ovarian Cancer Canada is looking for volunteers! Could you help?

OVdialogue – consider joining our team in the role of Peer Support Volunteer. Over a few hours each week, you would be part of a team that helps connect people, support conversations and are thought leaders for OVdialogue. This is your opportunity to give back to those who have/continue to support you through the tough times, share your unique experiences, and help celebrate successes. For more details of what this entails, please reach out to @Mfallis ([email protected]).

Recurrence in Retroperitoneal Lymph Nodes

Hi Teal Sisters,

I'm new to OV dialogue, but not to OV CA. I was diagnosed in 2011 with stage IV serous epithelial, had debunking + carbo/taxol, then was stable for 5 years. In late 2015 I developed symptoms of frontal lobe brain tumour, then it was found in January. Flap surgery was followed by cyber knife radiation, then Lynparza for nearly two years. Last week I was told I've had a recurrence in the lymph nodes. CA-125 has been climbing for months, peaked at 113, and CT showed several enlarged retroperitoneal lymph nodes. My oncologist cannot confirm with a biopsy in that location, but says treating with 6 cycles of carbo/taxol is the way to go. I'm wondering what chemo might be like this time around, since it's not preceded by a bear of a surgery. Also, I'm not in shock anymore, so don't need to take so much Ativan.

Any sense what I'll be facing this time around with chemo? Your input is helpful. I'm wondering how much I'll be unable to function. I managed last time with Emend for nausea, Gabapentin for pain and neuropathy.

Hugs to all.

Comments

• The Carboplatin and Paclitaxil will melt those tumours away. You had good results before on them and you will again! My Oncologist planned for 6 treatments but I had 9 in the end to really cleanit up. I was treated once every 3 weeks for the second round and so I got 2 weeks feeling good. The 9 treatments pushed my remission into the Spring and summer so we had some nice holidays- way better than in winter! 
  • I know from personal experience that when you receive a subsequent round of chemotherapy you should receive sufficient pre medications such as Benadryl to counter potential reaction.  Other than that I did not have any new issues with more carboplatin/taxol.