Anyone try Naturopathic Treatment & what's been your experience with it?

I'm looking into this for my mom, we have been to several consultations and we just can't decide if it's the right next step; (as she's not in treatment now, had finished end of February).  There seem to be a couple schools of thought, one being using IV therapies along with diet, lifestyle and supplement treatments, and the other (perhaps the older cohort) also using supplements, herbs, detoxification, but not offering IV therapy. We are confused and wonder if anyone has tried anything like this and how is it working?  
Thank very much.

Comments

• Elsie13Elsie13
    edited June 27
    Hi  @Luci22 What are the doctors suggesting, if I may ask?     I have no medical training, but I'd advise against naturopathy in most cases. I belong to a couple of 'skeptic organizations' and one of the problems is that people have heard how awful chemo is (and it's sometimes not bad) and they think naturopathy is a cure . No! There may be, just maybe, some benefit with cancer side effects and treatment side effects. But when a drug is going to be used for cancer, it seems it has to go through three major levels of testing, including the big double blind study.  Naturopathic products, they just have anecdotal details and very small - not double blind , studies.  The chemo and radiation worked for me.  Over the past year my blood tests show No Evidence of Disease. 
  • Hi Elsie13,  my mom did have chemo and surgery already.  It worked well for her and what I was asking was in regards to maintenance ideas in between as she's currently doing well, her CA125 is 4 and things look good but she still wants to do some extra health stuff.  I definitely agree with chemo and surgery, any trusted advice, and we always listened to the doctors first.  Thanks for commenting.  Glad you're doing well too.
  • Hi @Luci22- good to hear your mom is doing well. Yes, it is always good to consult with your oncologist team if you are considering any additional treatments what ever you choose.
  • Hi @Luci22 .  There are lots of different approaches to complimentary and alternative medicine for cancer patients.  You may want to visit the website for the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine.  https://www.ccnm.edu/

If your mother should go back into treatment at some point, it will be important to let her oncologist know what other things she is taking/doing.